What is Colic?
Colic is a natural and common problem that occurs in earlyand effects 1 out of 5 babies. We are all familiar with the numerous reasons a baby cries such as sleep, hunger, temperature or diaper change etc. however, sometimes babies sometimes become un-consolable no matter how much care they receive. If this is a regular occurrence, your baby may have colic. Colic is most commonly known to appear during the first 4 months of babies life and even though it may seem like baby is screaming as loud as they can, colic is proven a non-dangerous problem and has no long term effects on babies feeding and growth.
Many parents may feel distressed and perhaps even feel like a failure because they cant help baby, but colic is natural and no ties to bad parenting at all. Colic is often a new mother first challenge that is relatively short lived.
How can a new mother diagnose colic?
The followingappear in an otherwise happy healthy baby:
- Intense crying – Baby cries intensely and furiously, and there is not much you can do to comfort him/her. The baby’s face will become red and flushed and crying episodes tend to occur at the same time every day – generally during the late afternoon or evening. Episodes may last from a few minutes to much longer periods. Crying usually starts suddenly and for no apparent reason.
- Baby’s posture – Baby’s fists may be clenched, tensed , knees drawn up, and the back arched.
- Sleeping – Sleep may be irregular and interrupted with episodes of crying.
- Feeding – feeding may also be interrupted and irregular with episodes of intense crying. However, the amount the baby feeds each day is not reduced.
- Gas – During episodes of crying, baby may have a gassy or noisy tummy.
- Varying intensities – With some babies symptoms are mild and the baby may only experience periods of restlessness.
Nobody really knows what causes colic in babies even though experts suggest it may be due to indigestion or. and have similar symptoms to those of colic but these theories are not supported by any evidence.
How to treat colic babies
While there are limited options for treatment, many mothers turn to a natural homeopathic remedy called Colic Calm. Colic calm has helped me out many times with liliahna, especially when we first brought her home. Since colic calm is all natural, I feel safe giving it to baby whenever she needs extra gas relief after burping and it has bailed me out of trouble many times. Gas, colic and reflux stand no chance against the healing properties of Colic Calm Gripe Water. Used successfully by over 250,000+ relieved parents and babies everywhere.